Our first year at Hogwarts is coming to an end, and it’s time to look ahead to our next literary adventure!
If this is your first time through this part of the process, each book on the shortlist have to meet the following criteria:
- It must be widely available.
- I must have read it recently, so I can be sure that…
- I have enough to say about the book to support a whole seminar series.
There are a number of books that I want to discuss in the future that didn’t meet the second criteria, but we’ll be doing this for a good long time. We’ll also cover Diana Gabaldon’s Dragonfly In Amber toward the end of the year, and I imagine we’ll get to Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets next spring. If we’ve talked about a book that doesn’t appear on this shortlist, don’t worry — we’ll hold another one of these polls in a couple of months, and there’s a good chance we’ll get to it!
So, without further ado, here are the books for the next seminar:
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Mort by Terry Pratchett
- Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland
- A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K Le Guin
- Foucault’s Pendulum by Umberto Eco
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
The new seminar will begin around the end of June, and will run between six and twelve weeks, depending on which book wins out. The first runner-up will appear in the next list, and the others may well show up again in the future. You’ll only be able to vote once; voting closes at midnight Eastern Time on May 18th, and the winner will be announced during the seminar session on May 19th.
Thanks for voting, everyone! The results are as follows:
- Pride and Prejudice: 50%
- Mort: 21%
- A Wrinkle In Time: 16%
- Foucault’s Pendulum: 7%
- A Wizard of Earthsea: 4%
- Generation X: 2%
So stay tuned for more information about our upcoming Pride and Prejudice seminar!